Thursday, January 22, 2015

How to Repurpose Your Candle Jars

I think I've mentioned this before but I have an obsession with fragrances. I love perfumes, lotions, scrubs, room sprays, candles...anything that smells good - sign me up! In the mornings I like to light a candle as part of my ritual to help me welcome a new day in a positive frame of mind. When picking out a candle of course I choose one with the best scent, but I also like to select candles that look like my design aesthetic because I like to style them around my house. My favorites are (Voluspa, Atelier Cologne, and Le Labo). The great thing about having great looking candles, is that you can recycle the jars after you are finished with them. I like to use mine to hold my makeup brushes and bathroom essentials, but you could also use them to hold your paint brushes, pens, pencils, markers...the options are endless. 
Recycle Candle Jars
Let's keep it real - before you can turn your candle jar into a storage jar, you have to remove that list bit of wax which is always a bitch. I've tried all types of different ways to remove the wax, but the directions below by far work the best and are the easiest:
how-to-remove-candle-wax 1
how-to-remove-candle-wax 2
The key is to get that paper towel in there when those last bits of wax are still liquid. They should cling to the towel without effort. 

If you have to scrub, add more hot water and wait a minute, then try again. Except for a little windex or vinegar at the end (optional), there should be no rubbing or elbow grease at all. Rubbing = smearing, and the last thing you want is wax smeared all over your glass container.

Note: Don’t do this process in your sink or on your nice counter top. Lay down an old rag or newspaper. You don’t want to have to scrape hardened wax bits off your table or your drain.

How have you repurposed your candle jars? Or heck, your spaghetti sauce jars, baby food jars....you get where I'm going...

Images via and via

4 comments:

  1. Say what?! I'm truly amazed by this. I never thought about recycling them for this. Hell, I could even recycle them as a display for incense! Keeping this in the back of my mind for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of storing your incense in the jars - great idea!!!

      Delete
  2. I had a 3 wick candle with a glass top. I filled it with loose body powder and a power puff I purchased from Etsy. My favorite candle jar repurpose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it!!! What Etsy store did you purchase the powder and powder puff from?

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! Whether you agree with the opinions found on this blog or not, your voice is important to other readers who share this space. Constructive criticism can be useful if left in a tone meant to help and not to shock or overly offend. However, six eighty eight reserves the right to delete any comment that is abusive, profane, rude, or considered spam.