Monday, February 10, 2014

{A Little Self-Reflection}

Over the last 6 weeks, life for me has had all kinds of twists and turns filled with fantastic highs and heartbreaking lows. Overall it has taught me that optimism and positivity is really all it takes to be happy (which has been hard for me up until 6 weeks ago). Over the weekend, my sister Kendra taught me how to meditate (ha! imagine that). Meditation has always seemed so foreign to me because I felt like I was not capable of turning off my brain. But my sister explained how meditation helps us cope in a world that overloads us with information and communication, how it increases concentration, decreases anxiety, and provides a general feeling of happiness. So I decided to give it a try. Yesterday morning was the first time I meditated (I put in my earphones, closed my eyes, and listened to this - if you're thinking about starting meditation, this 15-min video is a great start), and while my mind definitely wandered (a lot - a whole lot), each time I was able to refocus and just be still. I really like it. They say it takes 30 days before it becomes a habit, right? We'll see how this goes. 

I have such a long way to go - I'm not perfect (nor will I ever be) - I still wake up some mornings with fear and doubt, I've shed many tears, I've questioned the decisions I making, but I'm liking the person I am getting back to.

I believe that, in everything, every day is a chance to renew, to reach for something greater, and that every moment holds opportunities available to enrich our lives. I've said this before, if life is truly 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it, we essentially have two choices when we wake each morning: we can either be someone who lets the past and difficulty defeat us or be someone who recognizes that it is our attitude, our ability to reflect and forgive, and our passion, that will take us to the next level.

I found the following words on Pinterest the other day, and I thought how perfectly it describes my current state. I wish I could have come up with them on my own - but this is proof that there are others out there, like me, trying to get back on track - navigating through this thing we call life:
Self reflection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Whether you agree with the opinions found on this blog or not, your voice is important to other readers who share this space. Constructive criticism can be useful if left in a tone meant to help and not to shock or overly offend. However, six eighty eight reserves the right to delete any comment that is abusive, profane, rude, or considered spam.