Thursday, July 12, 2012

{TGIF Early Peeps!!!}

Screen shot 2012-06-21 at 9.14.03 PM
Happy Early Weekend Peeps!!! As of 12:00 noon today, I'm leaving work for a fun-filled weekend here in New York with my mom and aunt. Their flight lands around 12:30 and the moment they hit the concrete, me and my sisters have a full intinerary planned for them. We're doing Time Square, walking the Brooklyn Bridge, taking a boat tour, visiting the World Trade Center Park, going on a bus tour, Rockafeller Center, Chelsea Market, West Village, Central Park....and of course lots of shopping and good eats. I'm really looking forward to having visitors here to show off this fabulous city....there will be a flood of pics posted on Instagram for sure!
nyc tolerant Instead of doing my usual weekly links, I'm going to give you a few tips of how not to look like a tourist in New York City - check it:

1. Don't stare. Even if a woman wearing a tiger costume sits down next to you on the subway (which happened to me once), or you see a woman cursing the heck out of a fire hydrant because it bumped into her (yep seen this too), act like nothing out of the ordinary is happening. Seasoned New Yorkers are always unfazed.

 2. Tourists always get overwhelmed when swiping their metro card. The last time my mom was here, she couldn't get the hang of it and we had to wait 15 minutes for her card to reset. There's a lot of fumbling. Just be cool (mom)--get your card out while walking down the stairs (mom), make sure the black strip is facing inward (mom), and swipe it like a credit card (got it mom?). LOL!!!

3. New Yorkers imagine that there's an invisible line down the middle if the sidewalk, and that to keep the flow going, you keep to the RIGHT. New Yorkers also walk at a brisk pace, and if you don't, get the hell out of the way or you'll get ran over.

 4. New Yorkers fold their pizza. While I haven't had a slice of New York pizza yet, I know that when I get some this weekend to definitely fold it.

 5. One thing tourists have on us: They look up! They noticed the grandness of the city. The skyscrapers! The churches! The bridges! If you want to look like a New Yorker, look down and keep moving. But you'll miss out.

I'm very much looking forward to being a tourist in my own city this weekend. I'll see you over on Instagram until Monday!!
Jessica Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Whether you agree with the opinions found on this blog or not, your voice is important to other readers who share this space. Constructive criticism can be useful if left in a tone meant to help and not to shock or overly offend. However, six eighty eight reserves the right to delete any comment that is abusive, profane, rude, or considered spam.