So I've been in New York for 11 days and already I've learned a lot of lessons. Nothing can prepare you for all of the experiences you will have, you just have to jump in and go with the flow...
“The inspiration for Amber C. Jones’ first scratch-and-sniff book was under her nose. It was the smells of New York City — the pizza, the bagels, the pastrami and the garbage.Her self-published book is called New York, Phew York.” The 20-scent, 40-page children’s book could be available as soon as the holiday season. The self-published book will cost $34.”
- You can do and be whomever you want to be, dress however you want to dress, love who you want to love,......and... smell however you want to smell (lol)
- Patience is a virtue
- People do smile at you here (especially when you're walking a cute puppy)
- People do speak, hold open doors and even the elevator for you
- Every day is an adventure on the subway - from the people, the entertainers, the heat, the smells, and the amazement of watching mothers carrying their strollers up and down the stairs...no one day is ever the same
- With all of the walking and cooking at home, this week I've lost 3 lbs!!!!!! woot woot!
- Not all NY agencies work their people like Hebrew slaves
- This city never sleeps
- At least 3 times a day smoke will be blown in your face
- There is a freakin Home Depot in the middle of the city - who knew?
- Shake Shack is a religion
- Building construction doesn't stop at 5:00, or 6:00, or 7:00, or 10:00, or even midnight - but boy oh boy will the apartments across the street from me gonna be lovely
- Traders Joe's is my hero as they don't hike up the prices here in NYC, just because they can. What is $2.49 anywhere else, is $2.49 in NYC. Boom! The other morning I stopped by this cutesy little store called Bread and Butter for some breakast and bought a very small bowl of fresh fruit, 1 Chobani greek yogurt, and a small bag of granola. Guess what my total way? $17 freakin dollars. I vowed to never go back. The lesson here is stick with Traders...
- Carry a little cash with you to buy fresh fruit off the corner. It's sweet, it's local, and it's cheap
- Purell is my bff
- Sunday brunch in NYC is not a sit down, eat breakfast and drink a mimosa - it's literally a daytime party. Everyone gets dressed up, there's a DJ, heels, mingling...all that. If you're ever in NYC and are asked to brunch - remember this post.
- Every single block in every single borough has at least 2 sushi restaurants
- Seamless is the bomb dot com. Literally food at your doorstop at any time of the night or day
- Laundry service = they wash and fold and you pick it up. Can you say - yes please?
- Any store in the city delivers
- Chelsea Market is amazeballs...and 3 blocks away from my apartment
- So is the Highline...and 3 blocks away from my apartment
- The ferry to IKEA was a lot of fun, sitting on top is the only way to go
- Comfortable shoes are a NECESSITY....dot org
- Light dresses during the summer is all you will want to wear - anything else is just too hot
- Speaking of hot - heat in NYC is no joke. 90+ degrees, plus concrete, plus 100% humidity, plus unair-conditioned subway stations, plus a bagillion people = a special experience. This may be the only thing that I'm not loving about NYC right now...
- And my favorite lesson so far - it's amazing living in NYC with your sisters
And that's just after 11 days. I can't say it enough - I'm loving New York and really don't understand why it took me so long to get here. Tonight we are going to a yoga class right in the middle of Time Square - thousands of yogis all in one place. While it's supposed to be 95+ degrees out today, it's still going to be a blast. Plug into Instagram later on....
Enjoy your day loves!