Sunday, December 27, 2009

MEET BRANDON HOLSCHUH

I met Brandon Holschuh at an art show several years ago in Willoughby, Ohio. When an artist takes his work one step further than you might expect, it always adds an element of interest for me. I purchased a few pieces of jewelry from him because I just loved his point of view and orginality.


Brandon Holschuh has been a jeweler for nearly 20 years and maintains an active jeweler’s studio in Concord Township, Ohio. As stated in an article written about Brandon in The Plain Dealer on Friday May 18, 2007, every rivet and screw, clasp and closure is handmade, and he does his own casting. “I don’t make anything twice” Holschuh says, spoken like a man more concerned with creativity than commerce. “I have so many ideas; I’m in a hurry to get the idea out of my head so I can move onto the next one.” Lately, he says, “my work has been pushing the limits of borderline wearable.” But don’t ask him to size it. “I know that this is a terrible business plan, but it’s a piece of art and if it fits it fits – if it doesn’t it doesn’t.”

Necklaces

Rings

Bracelets


The Jeweler's Studio Handbook guides you through the process of equipping your own jewelry studio and teaches you the techniques that will have you crafting one-of-a-kind metal jewelry in no time.

Brandon walks you through planning your work space, selecting tools and materials, mastering basic metalwork techniques, and applying your new skills to twenty original pieces. In addition, The Jeweler's Studio Handbook encourages novel design, good organization and fearless experimentation, ensuring it will remain an invaluable resource for jewelry artists for years to come.
I truly hope you enjoyed this post and highly recommend you visiting Brandon's site to see when he may be in a city near you. If you enjoyed the eye-candy shown above, just wait until you see his artwork in person.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for your post and all the information about this jeweler you wrote. Today I included a post on my blog where I liked it.
    http://www.mardecolorrosa.com/2012/08/07/brandon-holschuh/
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I saw his work in the August issue of Art Jewelry Magazine and was enthralled! Now I'll have to check out his book.

    www.mermaidheart.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! Whether you agree with the opinions found on this blog or not, your voice is important to other readers who share this space. Constructive criticism can be useful if left in a tone meant to help and not to shock or overly offend. However, six eighty eight reserves the right to delete any comment that is abusive, profane, rude, or considered spam.