Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Bite: A Guide to the Best NYC Lobster Rolls

What is it about Memorial Day and lobster rolls? I guess its because Memorial Day is unofficially the start of the summer, and what better thing to do than grab a lobster roll, beer, and enjoy the long weekend? So that's exactly what I did this past weekend! Today I decided to dedicate this week's Bite post to my top 3 favorite lobster rolls here in New York City:
A Guide To The Best NYC Lobster Rolls
While I certainly haven't tried all of the lobster rolls here in the city, I have had several and below are three of my favorites to date. They all have very similar flavors and recipes, but the Pearl Oyster Bar definitely tops my list!
NYC Best Lobster Rolls
Lately I've been doing a lot of experimenting in the kitchen and I would love to try out this recipe that I found (which is very similar to the recipe at the Pearl Oyster Bar & Mary's Fish Camp) on goop. It looks fairly simple and since I have The Lobster Place just a few blocks away at Chelsea Market to get some fresh lobsters, I guess I have no excuse. So who's coming to dinner at my place?
Screen Shot 2014-05-26 at 8.44.32 PM
INGREDIENTS (makes 6)
four 1.5 lb lobsters
2 bay leaves
30 black peppercorns
zest of 1 lemon
juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsp melted butter
2 tbsp Hellman’s mayo
celery, chopped as thin as possible lengthwise
salt & pepper to taste
5 chives (about a teaspoon), finely chopped
6 Pepperidge Farm hot dog buns

DIRECTIONS
1. Add 2 bay leaves and 30 black peppercorns to shallow water (about 2-3 inches deep) in a large pot. Add lobsters, cover and steam for 12-15 minutes, until bright orange/red.

2. Let cool to the touch, then bash ‘em open with the back of a sturdy knife. Remove all the meat.

3. Cut lobster into bite-size pieces and put in a mixing bowl. Add lemon zest, lemon juice, melted butter, mayo, celery, salt and pepper to taste. Combine.

4. Heat buns in the oven on 225° for 10 or so minutes to dry them out. Brush split buns with the remainder of the melted butter and toast them in a dry sauté pan, turning frequently until toasted.

5. Fill buns with meat and sprinkle with more chives and a squeeze of lemon if you fancy. Serve with fries.

So tell me - where have you had your best lobster roll? I really want to go to Maine and sit at one of those lobster shacks off the water and get one - I mean, you can't get much fresher than that right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Whether you agree with the opinions found on this blog or not, your voice is important to other readers who share this space. Constructive criticism can be useful if left in a tone meant to help and not to shock or overly offend. However, six eighty eight reserves the right to delete any comment that is abusive, profane, rude, or considered spam.