Thursday, November 15, 2012

{What Thanksgiving Foods Could You NOT Do Without?}

So.....this is the first Thanksgiving EVER that I will not be going home. It was just too pricey for my sisters and I to travel home for Thanksgiving and then back 3 weeks later for Christmas. I think this is the first time since I moved to NYC that I miss having a car. I'm really really sad about it, but I'm trying to get over not being at home by still keeping the traditions me and my family have built over the years. While my sisters and I probably won't cook the huge spread my mom prepares, we do plan to cook some of our faves that wouldn't be Thanksgiving without them. One being pie (the others: stuffing, mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, greens, oh and turkey {although one sister is vegan and the other loathes turkey, so maybe we'll do a roasted chicken instead}). I've been looking for an apple pie and a sweet potato pie recipe - and yes, while I could call my mom for her delicious recipes, I thought finding one that I could call my "own" would be kind of fun. So over on Spook Fork Bacon, I found a recipe for a Candied Yam Pie and think this could be a good contender. My sisters aren't huge fans of whipped cream {sometimes I really don't know how we're sisters}, so I'll put that in a bowl on the side for me to enjoy all by myself.  Now - for an apple pie recipe. Do you have any recommendations, or recipes that you can share?
candy yam pie 1

candy yam pie 2

candy yam pie 3

candied-yam-pie-4

Candied Yam Pie
Makes 1 Pie (9”)

Ingredients
crust:
14 ounces ginger snap cookies, ground into crumbs
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted

filling:
3 cups sweet potatoes, peeled, boiled and mashed
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 lemon, juiced
5 tablespoons salted butter, melted
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup, optional
2 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

meringue:
3 large egg whites, room temperature
1 1/3 cup granulated sugar
pinch salt

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.

2. In a large bowl mix together the ginger snap crumbs and melted butter until fully incorporated. Press the mixture into a 9” pie dish or tart shell, pressing both evenly on the bottom and up the sides. Place onto a baking sheet and then into the refrigerator until ready to use.

3. Place sweet potatoes in a bowl and add the remaining filling ingredients. Stir together until fully incorporated and no lumps remain. Pour the filling into the prepared crust and carefully set into the lowest rack of the oven. Bake for 55 to 75 minutes or until the filling has set, but is slightly loose in the middle.

4. Allow pie to cool completely, about 2 hours.

5. For the meringue: Place egg whites into a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment or in a large bowl, if using a hand mixer. Beat eggs on medium- high speed until medium peaks form. With the motor running, begin adding the sugar, ¼ cup at a time until all the sugar has been added. Add the pinch of salt and continue to whip until stiff peaks form.

6. To serve: Generously top pie with meringue and brulee if desired. Serve.

Happy preparation for the big day ya'll!!!
Jessica Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Whether you agree with the opinions found on this blog or not, your voice is important to other readers who share this space. Constructive criticism can be useful if left in a tone meant to help and not to shock or overly offend. However, six eighty eight reserves the right to delete any comment that is abusive, profane, rude, or considered spam.