Tuesday, March 27, 2012

{Food For Thought Tuesdays: Overeating}

\Most people that are trying to lose weight have a big problem to overcome, and it's the reason why we are in the position of having to lose weight - overeating. I have certain trigger foods {french fries, nachos, and potato chips}that I simply can chow down on for hours - my brain doesn't cut off and tell me to stop until I'm to the point that I'm stuffed and uncomfortable.
overeating
I did some research to why we can't just stop at one and I learned that we have what food-industry insiders call a “bliss point,” a nirvana of the taste buds triggered by particular amounts of salt, sugar, and fat. Menu scientists {yes, that’s a job!} at popular restaurant chains and packaged-food corporations use their knowledge of the "bliss point" to manipulate your appetite, adding salt, sugar, and fat to their products in combinations that are designed to create hedonism on a plate—a taste experience so intense that it kicks the brain’s pleasure system into overdrive. It’s like a drug. And like any drug, it leads you to obsess about that moment of pleasure so much that you’ll do almost anything to prolong or relive it. The result: a bigger bottom line for them—and a bigger waistline for you.

This leads to the solution that I limit my eating out because I want to know what I'm eating, and most importantly control the portions that I allow on my plate and into my body. I save my "bliss point" for one day a week as I feel I can have it all - just not all at once....moderation is key!

What are the trigger foods that lead you to overeating?
Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Whether you agree with the opinions found on this blog or not, your voice is important to other readers who share this space. Constructive criticism can be useful if left in a tone meant to help and not to shock or overly offend. However, six eighty eight reserves the right to delete any comment that is abusive, profane, rude, or considered spam.