Wednesday, August 25, 2010

{Ruffled Shower Curtain: DIY}

I've been wanting a ruffled shower curtain for quite some time, but the ones at Anthropologie and Urban Outfitters are a little more than I'm willing to spend. I actually purchased the curtain from Urban Outfitters, but after thinking it over I realized spending $70 for a shower curtain is a bit much, and returned it.
Shower Curtains
So yesterday after spending several hours in an airport, I was able to look through some of my favorite blogs {something I haven't had time to do in a long while} and found this amazing DIY over at Apartment Therapy. The moment I saw it I said "why didn't I think of that?". This truly is a great idea and while I would love to say I'm going to make it - I don't have a sewing machine {or any type of sewing skills} so I'm going to sweet talk my mom into making it for me. So Mom...how much do you love me {she knows when I say this I'm up to something, lol} - you know that fancy sewing machine of yours that's been collecting dust down in the basement? Yea - it's time to clean it off because I have a project for ya - see below:
Ruffled Shower Curtain 1

Materials:
Plain cotton shower curtain (all measurements are based on a standard 70" x 72" curtain)
2.5 yards fabric
Sewing machine
Thread

Step 1: Sew on valance
Begin by sewing an 8" wide valance (hemmed along the top, sides and bottom) across the top of the shower curtain. Leave the valance unstitched over top of each grommet, so the shower curtain rings can still be fed through the holes. The finished valance will hide the shower curtain ring holes.

Step 2: Gather fabric into frills
Using pinking shears, cut four strips of fabric that are each 3" wide and 6' long. Set the stitch size on your sewing machine to the longest possible length. In the centre of each fabric strip, stitch rows, 1/4" apart, the full length of the strip. Working from both ends, gently pull each thread until the fabric gathers into a soft ruffle.

Step 3: Sew on trim
Pin the ruffled fabric onto the shower curtain, spaced about 3" apart. Sew them onto the shower curtain with one line of stitching down the centre of each strip, then pull out the treads previously used to make the fabric into ruffles.

Step 4: Hang and enjoy
--------------------------------------
Pretty genius huh? Mom - we'll talk later!!!
Final Signature

4 comments:

  1. oooh - that is toooo pretty! Thanks for the instructions, may just have to whip one up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    Thank you for comment! Your style of presentation is so cute. That a really good idea!

    Cotton Shower Curtain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anthropologie style ruffle shower curtain available by Lush decor at Bed Bath and Beyond for $49.99 (Less 20% coupon if purchased in store)....not a bad deal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the shower curtain. Next project, THANKS :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! Whether you agree with the opinions found on this blog or not, your voice is important to other readers who share this space. Constructive criticism can be useful if left in a tone meant to help and not to shock or overly offend. However, six eighty eight reserves the right to delete any comment that is abusive, profane, rude, or considered spam.